Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Projects vs. love

When Martha bustled about getting dinner ready, she was project oriented.
When Mary sat at the feet of Christ, she was love oriented.

When the woman spilled perfume on Jesus feet, she was love oriented.
When Judas rankled that the money could have gone to better things, he was project oriented.

When the guest looked appalled at the pile of unfolded washing and insisted she fold it all at once, she was project oriented
When the guest poked her head in the kitchen and asked if it would be a help to me if she bought in the washing and folded it, she was love oriented.

When the hosts served us a simple meal and joked around with us as we helped clean up afterward, they were love oriented.
When the hosts spent all day making a fancy meal, then started washing dishes and pushing us out the door as we finished eating, they were project oriented.

When the dinner guests jumped up and cleaned the kitchen from top to toe before rushing out the door, they were project oriented.
When the dinner guests sat with us around the table until 10pm talking, singing, laughing, fellowshipping, they were love oriented.

When I sat down to read an unscheduled story to a tired and emotional child, I was love oriented.
When I forced the child to stay awake for a story because it was STORY TIME not nap time, I was project oriented.

When I chased the children out of the kitchen so I could bake the perfect birthday cake, I was project oriented.
When I let them dip their fingers in the batter, I was love oriented.

Where is your compass set today? Projects, or love?

No comments: