Monday, September 18, 2006

Almost totally moved

We're NEARLY done! It just takes forever to get this type of thing done with my family. And if one more person tells me a story of how they moved completely, including unpacking, in 20 minutes or less I will not be held responsible for my actions! Yes, bully for you! Did you do that with a toddler and a 3 month old? Did you do that with two chronic pack rats and only one license? Did you do that with several set backs in the form of people promising things then failing to follow through? I DIDN'T THINK SO! But as I said, we're nearly done now and life can start sorting itself into the rhythm of family.

Erin:
is getting tanned with all the time we are spending outside. She is getting a bit big for her boots at times now, which could be being two, could be play group, could be the move but is likely a combination of all of the above. She does settle down fairly quickly after being reminded of manners etc though and is still generally a great kid to have around. She adores Billy and has taken to calling him "Billy Boy" and "Little Man" like I do which is very cute! We went to the library last week and got some books out. She has fallen in love with a book called "Dear Zoo" by Rod Campbell. She sits down for ages looking through her books at the moment. With the amount of napping she is doing lately, I think we are in for some heavy duty growth spurting sometime soon. She has started wearing dresses and shorts with the sunshine lately which has been wonderful. She just seems so grown up. It strikes me every now and then that she will remember this time in her life, possibly, forever. The responsibility of that is rather frightening and thrilling all at once. I hope she remembers being curled up in bed just before her afternoon nap reading together. I hope she remembers playing "kissy monsters!" and me helping her up on to the slide at the park. I hope she remembers being happy.

Billy:
is grabbing things. When they are held out to him or dangled in front of him he will grab them. The movements look very random still but happen repeatedly so I am pretty sure they are intentional. He is so vocal lately and gets loud and obnoxious (in a cute sort of way) some times - like a small, balding great uncle who has had too much to drink is loudly telling the same story over and over again to whomever will listen, but nobody has the heart to tell him to be quiet! He did a massive chuck all over himself (and me) about an hour ago and complained loudly the whole time I was changing him because he wanted to be asleep. There is nothing quite like his belly laugh though, or the small, warm solidarity of his little person curled up next to me, or the feeling of watching him wriggle with the sheer joy of being alive and without pants! Sometimes I look at my children and wonder whatever I did before I had them. I try and preserve these memories of their babyhood but even now I worry that I will forget that certain smell of a freshly washed baby or the touch of little arms flung around me.


The House:
is slowly becoming a home now. I scrubbed the kitchen floor yesterday which made it look fantastic. I am taking out empty boxes every day now. There are photos of the kids on the mantle piece and toys tucked into their homes. The bookshelves are filling slowly as I sort the books (My inner librarian comming out!) and Jon and my bedroom is turning from a dumping ground to a little love nest.

The Garden:
needs a bit more attention than it has been getting but inside has had to take priority. My tomato plant is looking like blooming already and lawn dasies cover the lawns like little drifts of spring-time snow. Jon mowed some of the back lawn yesterday which made it look great.

Craft:
has been limited to a bit of knitting. I have nearly sewed up a little jumper for Billy. It will look good once it is done! I am feeling very inspired by spring at the moment, I just need to find the time to do something with the inspiration now! I'd love some little shorts to go under Erin's dresses and keep having a little fantasy about doing a quilt themed on the lawn dasies which I love so much and keep reminding me in a strange way of Erin. I have a stack of projects that need finishing before I start another though.

Must go to bed.

Jess

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

No comments: